What is a distiller?
In science, we all have been taught about the process of distillation, wherein water distillers remove contamination from the ordinary water and make it fit for human consumption and other purposes. Distillation of water removes salt and minerals by boiling the water at its boiling point, say 100°C. As the water is heated it changes into steam and is collected in a container leaving behind all the heavy metal impurities. The process of making water pure can be done using water distiller which is available in many sizes which can fit on most countertops. The distillation process makes the water 99% pure by removing the dirt particles and other metals that aren’t fit for human consumption.
If you live in areas where regular water is unfit for human consumption or has too many minerals, then having a water distiller can save you a lot of money and ensure better health. When you purchase a purified water bottle it costs you one dollar or more on the daily basis but when you distill a gallon of water using water distiller it cost you a maximum of 25 cents on an average. Yes, getting a water distiller is costly, about 500 to 600 dollars, but it is wiser option in the long run. Operating water distiller is as easy as making coffee in an instant coffee maker.
How to make a simple water distiller at home
If you feel that buying a water distiller from market is too heavy on your pocket, then don’t worry. We can tell you how to make a simple home distiller! This distiller is an excellent water filtration option for areas with low to mid-mineral content levels.
For a home water distiller all you need is a metal pot, stainless steel fitting, a plastic hose pipe, glass jug, detergent and a stove.
- Drill a hole in the metal pot and insert the steel fitting. As soon as the water starts boiling, make sure the steam enters the steel pipe fitting.
- Pass the steam for five minutes and then attach the fitting to the hose pipe that will make sure that there is no more contamination left.
- Put one end of the hose pipe in a glass jug and collect the clean drinkable water.
The advantages of home water distillers
Home water distillers are generally portable and are similar to kettles in look and size. These home water distillers can hold up to 3-4 liters of water and can be refilled manually. The advantages of home water distillers are:
- The home water distiller can be a great kitchen appliance which can be used for a clean supply of purified water right at your fingertips.
- With home water distiller you can ditch the old plastic bottles and be more environmentally friendly
- Tap water contain metal ions such as chlorine and fluoride which dry out your newborn’s skin no matter what soap you use so, the home water distiller can give you pure metal-free water that is perfect for baby’s skin.
- Sometimes the hard metal present in the ordinary tap water can cause damage to the plants and flowers. Therefore, with home water distillers you can indulge in gardening pleasures.
The disadvantages of home water distillers
- The first disadvantage of a home water distiller is that it consumes a lot of electricity making it quite an expensive deal.
- The water distiller at home requires frequent cleaning as all the salt and metal ions remain behind after the evaporation of water. The cleaning problem is a major step to deal with.
- Most of the home water distillers are made from stainless steel which can result in metal contamination.
- Many solid salts and metal ion can easily be removed from the water via water distiller at home but gases which have the same boiling point of water, as toluene and benzene, can still be the cause of contamination.
A few options while you are looking for the best home distiller
These are some of the best home distillers you can buy at economical rates:
- The water distiller at amazon.com from Nutriteam, Inc. is one of the best and cost around $199.
- If you need something bigger then go with the Pure Water Mini-Classic CT Distiller Promo Pack is costing $599.
- TC-500 Automatic Water Distiller is one of the best’s home distillers available at $639.