Over the past few decades, man has become more aware about what goes inside his body. Now, he consumes healthier food and opts for cleaner drinking water. This is where distilled water comes into the picture. Although, the process of distillation has been used since 200 AD, yet the concept of drinking distilled water on regular basis is relatively new.
Currently, distilled water for drinking is used in areas where regular or tap water is packed with minerals, salts and harmful pathogens. In such a scenario, distilled water drinking is healthier and beneficial as it protects from water-borne diseases and flushes out toxins. The process of distillation uses the scientific technique of evaporation of water and later its condensation, during which minerals and salts are deposited on the distiller while only the water evaporates.
Benefits of drinking distilled water
Distilled drinking water is packed with benefits. Drinking distilled water not only ensures protection from a variety of diseases, it also ensures healthier living. At the same time, distilled water can be used for several other industrial and residential purposes. Some of the drinking distilled water benefits are mentioned below:
- When you are concerned about what kind of food goes inside your body, you should also be concerned about the quality of water that you drink. Distilled water is one of the purest forms of water that can be used for survival. Packed with extraordinary benefits, drinking distilled water ensures that the health of your body’s tissues is increased and the immune systems are strengthened.
- Distilled water drinking makes you fitter, makes your skin suppler and allows injuries to heal faster. Thereby, it also provides resistance against diseases.
- Since distilled water is pure and contains least traces of minerals and salts, therefore, it acts like a magnet for your body. When you drink it, it picks up discarded and unusable minerals in your body, dissolves them in itself and then eliminates them.
- Studies suggest that distilled drinking water can be used for elimination of toxins from the body. Since regular or tap water is filled with minerals and salts, hence they are unable to dissolve any other inorganic minerals from your body. But distilled water can filter unusable waste. Consequently, it also allows your body to absorb vitamins and healthier minerals more efficiently.
- People suffering from high blood pressure benefit from the low sodium content of distilled water. It also acts as a blood purifier and ensures that kidneys, liver and colon work more effectively.
- Those who have joint pains or suffer from arthritis, benefit from drinking distilled water. It picks mineral deposits accumulated from the cells in the joints. In fact, drinking distilled water is particularly beneficial for people with cholesterol problems or coronary heart diseases as it can eliminate minerals on artery walls.
- It is known for reducing kidney stones and gallstones.
Side effects of drinking distilled water
Beneficial effects of drinking distilled water are worth appreciating. But at the same time, drinking distilled water might also be bad for you, especially if taken in large quantities. There are several side effects of drinking distilled water. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Since distilled water is devoid of minerals, hence it has a bland or flat taste. It is true that carbon filters, which are now used in the filtration of water, impart a better taste than traditional water distillers, yet the taste difference is quite noticeable.
- Distilled water is devoid of minerals, even minerals which are beneficial, like calcium or magnesium. Reduced level of calcium is a major side effect of drinking distilled water. This can hurt your teeth in long run as you might not get sufficient fluoride to keep them healthy.
- Distilled water has another side effect that it leaches on minerals. Since it is too pure, hence it dissolves minerals from your own body. Although, this is partly good as it may take up unused, inorganic minerals, but it can also leach on good minerals, increase body acidity and may lead to mineral deficiencies.
These side effects of drinking distilled water can be resolved if the water that is distilled can be replenished with healthier minerals. Several contemporary water distillers initially filter water to throw any minerals like lead and pesticides, but they further replenish it with minerals like magnesium and calcium. Therefore, you are assured of healthy, tastier water that provides protection against a number of ailments.